Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free
Most people love that creamy indulgent dish that is a prawn mornay but why not make a “healthier” version that you can indulge in at home?! This version uses cashews to make a healthier creamy sauce and then if you want to reduce the carbohydrate content you can opt for cauliflower mash instead of potatoes. It’s also so quick to make and can be stored in the fridge and heated up when required! You could also swap the prawns for another meat or fish source if preferred.
For the sauce:
50g Cashews (soaked for 4h)
1/2 Chicken Stock Cube
1/2 Tbs Coconut Oil
100ml Boiling Water
1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast*
For the Dish:
150g Cooked Prawns
100g Peas (optional)
250g Cauliflower or 2-3 white potatoes
* Note: You can buy nutritional yeast in Supervalu or health food stores such as Holland and Barrett.
1) Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours or overnight.
2) If using Cauliflower: Cut a the cauliflower into smaller florets and steam until softened (around 10 minutes). Alternatively you can boil the cauliflower until soft.
If using potato: Peal and chop the potatoes into small chunks. Steam until softened (around 20 mins)
3) Place the cashews into a blender with the boiling water, stock cube, nutritional yeast and coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
4) Place the cooked prawns and peas into a dish.
5) Pour the sauce over the prawns.
6) Add the cauliflower to a blender and blend until smooth.
Mash the potatoes.
7) Place the cauliflower or potatoes on top of the prawns and smoothen out.
8) Optional: Bake in the oven for around 10-15 minutes (this will cause the potato to have that nice browning look).
Serve and Enjoy!