Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Vegan
I love apple pie with some custard or ice-cream. This apple pie is slightly different from your usual apple pie in that the base is made from just nuts and dates. The flavour of the nuts with the apple works so well together! Its so simple to make and can be stored in the fridge or even in the freezer and taken out and heated when desired.
200g Almonds (or Cashews)
4 Medium Red Apples
1-2 Tsp of Cinnamon (Optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan oven).
2) Add the nuts to a blender and blend to a fine flour.
3) Add the dates to the nuts and blend until it comes together like a “dough”.
4) Take 3/4 of the dough and roll out to fit a pie dish. (I roll it out between two pieces of cling film).
5) Place the dough into a greased or tined tin.
6) Cook in the oven for around 7 minutes or until slightly browned (don’t let it burn).
7) While the base is cooking, peel and chop the apples into small chunks. Place them in a pot with a small bit of water, place the lid on and stew them until soft.
8) Once the apple is soft, add 3/4 to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the cinnamon and mix or blend. Then add the rest of the chunks of apple and mix by hand. (Alternatively if you like more chunky apple pie then leave more or all of the apples as chunks).
9) Place the apple mixture into the base.
10) Take the remaining rough and roll it out between two sheets of cling film to fit the top of your pie dish.
11) Place the top on the dish.
12) Bake in the oven for around 7 minutes (or until browned).
Serve and Enjoy!
(Above: I served mine with some homemade dairy free custard)