Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Grain Free, Vegan
These are so tasty and a healthier version of a caramel square. There is no refined sugar and you can alter the recipe to suit your tastebuds! You can change the almonds in the base for cashews and if your not a peanut butter fan you can change the the peanut butter in the sauce for almond or cashew butter (or any nut butter of choice). They are really simple to make and you can store them in the freezer and take them out when desired! They can be taken in a tupperware for a treat or snack in work/college/school!
(Makes 20 Small Squares)
For the Base:
200g Whole Almonds
100g dried dates
For the Peanut caramel sauce:
80g peanut butter
100g dried dates
1 tbs coconut oil
Pinch of sea salt
For the Chocolate topping:
100g of 70% dark chocolate (use vegan chocolate if required)
To Make the base:
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2) Place the dates in two separate bowls and soak in hot water for 5 minutes.
3) Place the almonds in the oven on a baking tray and roast for 8 minutes (until browned).
4) Drain the dates but keep the water they were soaking in.
5) Add the almonds to a blender and blend to a fine flour.
6) Add 100g of dates to the almonds in the blender and blend until a crumble forms that would stick together when pressed.
7) Line a tin with cling film.
8) Place the crumble mixture onto the lined tin and press down using your hands to make the base.
To make the peanut caramel sauce:
9) Add the peanut butter, 100g of dates, coconut oil, sea salt and around 2 tbs of the water the dates were soaking in into a blender.
10) Blend until smooth (you may need to stop and scrape down the edges of the blender and add more of the water until the desired consistency is reached).
11) Spread the sauce on top of the base
12) Place in the freezer to set for at least 30 minutes.
For the chocolate topping:
13) Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave or over a Ban Marie.
14) Spread the melted chocolate over the peanut caramel topping.
15) Place in the freezer to set.
16) Once set cut into squares of desired size
Serve and enjoy!
I tend to keep these in the freezer and take them out a few minutes before serving which allows the caramel sauce to soften.