Gluten free, Wheat Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free, Vegan
I love having a chocolate treat for a snack or a little treat after meals. These are a great little fix, are really easy and quick to make and the golgi berries and nuts provide a really nice texture to the bar!
They have a high amount of protein in them (18.4 g – see macros below) which is good for a protein bar especially when you compare it to a lot of the vegan protein bars that are sold in the shops (most only contain around 10g of protein).
(Makes 14 large bars)
30g Coconut Flour
Pinch sea salt
60g (1/4 cup) Honey (or Agave or Maple Syrup for Vegan)
100g Dried Dates
80g Chocolate Vegan Protein (I used Tropeaka Chocolate Lean Protein)
15g Crushed Almonds
10g Coconut Chips
20g Golgi Berries
175g 70% Dark Chocolate (use dairy free/vegan if required)
* Note: you can use any type of protein you like. Alternatively you can leave out the protein and add cacao powder.
You can also swap the golgi berries/coconut chips/crushed almonds for any other nuts/raisins/cranberries/quinoa pops/puffed rice etc. Including this give the bars a nice texture.
1) Soak the dried dates in water.
2) After 5-10 minutes drain the dates (but keep the water they were soaking in).
3) Add the almonds, coconut flour, sea salt, protein, honey, dried dates and protein powder.
4) Blend for a 5+ minutes (until the mixture is crumbly or begins to stick together).
5) Add some of the water the dates were draining in if the mixture is too dry and doesn’t stick together (add a small amount at a time to stop it becoming too wet).
6) Add the crushed almonds, golgi berries and coconut chips. Blend for a few seconds to incorporate.
7) Place into a lined dish or silicone tray. Use your hands to push down flat. Alternatively you could roll them into balls.
8) Leave in the fridge to set for at least an hour (or overnight)
9) Melt the dark chocolate.
10) Cut the bars into desired size. Dip in the chocolate to coat.
11) Place in the fridge to set.
Store in the fridge or freezer.
Macros – Per Bar (Recipe makes 14 large bars)